- These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by Jill French.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer Jill French work; neither is Jill French under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- Jill French will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by Jill French, using her own equipment.
Editing and proofreading
- Jill French confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and for paying VAT (where applicable) and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- The Client will reimburse Jill French for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
- The Client will pay Jill French a fee per hour OR per 1,000 words OR an agreed flat fee for the job, plus VAT where applicable.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, Jill French may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of Jill French’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, Jill French may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, Jill French may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Any content created by Jill French as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/developmental editing process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- Jill French will do her utmost to ensure all documents, texts and files are correct and free of errors; however, no guarantee of this can be given – you can read more here.
- Jill French will not be liable for any losses, of any kind, resulting from missed errors or the editing or proofreading advice provided. Jill French will not be liable for any consequential, indirect or special loss/damage. Jill French will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of any event(s) beyond her reasonable control.
- Digital editing and proofreading mean that errors highlighted during the editing or proofreading process are often also corrected; however, it is not the responsibility of Jill French to action the changes.
- Jill French is not responsible for the factual accuracy or content of the Client’s project.
- Jill French will provide the Client with a sign off form when the project is delivered to the Client. The form will request that the Client sign the form to confirm receipt of the project and that the project has been completed according to the project agreement and the terms and conditions in this document. It is the Client’s responsibility to complete and return the form to Jill French. Failure to return the form within 5 days will be interpreted as implicit acceptance of the project as delivered.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of the Freelance’s invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and the Freelance may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- Either the Client or Jill French has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- Jill French may use the Client’s name in her promotional material unless the Client requests otherwise.
- Jill French may use written feedback or comments made by the Client in her promotional material unless the Client requests otherwise.
- If Jill French has made a substantial contribution to the developmental editing/copy-editing/proofreading/project management of the work, she will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both Jill French and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.